Welcome to the second talk of the series! /u/ameensol and I just got off the phone! We had a great conversation thanks to the submitted questions. Please check the first convesation with /u/jtnichol here.
Link to MP3: https://ethcs.org/files/ameensol.mp3
I will be sumitting the RSS feed to iTunes so that I can make timestamps in Overcast.fm (my go-to podcast player). This process might take a few days. For now, you can manually add the RSS feed to you favorite podcast player: https://www.ethcs.org/feed/podcast/.
The questions (more or less chronologically)
Please note that I grouped the questions into five categories: General, Spankchain, Ethereum (governance, protocol, Reddit), MolochDAO and Closing Questions. Please click the category to go to the YouTube-timestamp. Also, I tried to tag everyone that submitted questions but I might’ve lumped some together and thus tagged the wrong person, whoops!
- Can you share a little bit about the place where you’re sitting right now?
- Who are you and what are your interests? What is your background?
- What, if anything, did you study?
- Who do you look up to, and if it’s nobody in particular, where do you go for advice?
- As a former mesh member, what’s your take on the work ConsenSys does and, if you’re familiar enough, the changes that have occurred since you left? u/DboVilakati
- What do you think about ConsenSys’ work which benefits oil and gas giants? u/DboVilakati
- I recently read an article where Gavin Wood was quoted as calling Joe Lubin the “Darth Vader of Ethereum”. Any comment about that remark? u/soupdizzle1
- Crypto has already attracted much economic interest. What can we do to spark more interest in the potential social and political benefits of blockchain? u/_lotuseater
- What’s your elevator pitch for Spankchain when asked what you do for a living? u/chazschmidt
- Growing Spankchain has been a wild ride, I’m sure, and the company is still young. What’s one thing you wish you would have done differently in terms of running a company in the bleeding edge space that is crypto? are there unique challenges you can share? u/Trent_vanepps
- When it comes to introducing the crypto model to empower people in the adult industry, how has the general reception “behind the scenes” been? The Adult industry is always referenced as being one of the first applications for new technology, it would be interesting to know if the cliché still has merit. u/frescalal
- Same question, but with regards to your “blockchain space” peers. How is their reception? I see Vitalik frequently mentioning Spankchain as one of the projects with scaling solutions, but are they all so open-minded? u/frescalal
- Do you ever regret not picking more discreet names for things? (ie ComeSwap) u/chazschmidt
- A recurring theme in your work is the idea that we can use blockchain tech to harness and redirect the human tendency to be overly-self interested. The Spankchain whitepaper, for example, indicates that it was conceived to address some of the predatory practices of the adult entertainment industry. What sort of unexpected obstacles have you encountered during those efforts? u/_lotuseater(I’m afraid I skipped this questions, but it got answered in another form.)
- Where do you see Spanchain in 2 years? u/soupdizzle1
- Is Spankchain researching privacy tech for the platform? u/chazschmidt
Can you talk about how Spankchain/you are involved with helping support the ecosystem with grants/donations? u/SuddenMind
ETHEREUM, GOVERNANCE, OTHER PROJECTS AND REDDIT (YouTube timestamp)
- What’s one of the biggest misconceptions that you’ve seen over the years with respect to Ethereum, both the protocol and the projects building on it? u/Trent_vanepps
- when you first came across it, what was your reaction / interpretation? How has that lined up with where we are today? u/Trent_vanepps
- What’s been the most and least gratifying part about developing projects on Ethereum? u/Trent_vanepps (I think I skipped this questions but it got answered elsewhere.)
- Would you be interested to be the release coordinator and/or have an active role in the core dev calls? u/sfdao91
- Do ETH holders have a coordination problem? Do you have any advice for people in this sub who want to participate more actively in ensuring the best outcome for their investment? u/carlslarson
- Do you believe some of the rumours that the Afri rage quit and various other activities was a socially engineered PR stunt? u/etherbie
- Would you want to take over Afri’s old position? u/oldskool47
- What are your thoughts on the /r/ethereum mod situation? They seem very apathetic, burnt out, and misaligned with most of the discussion around Polkadot and Ryan Zurrer. Taylor Monahan basically killed the conversation with a fake attempt at engagement and that was the end of it. No further follow-up has been made and Ryan Zurrer continues to sit as a moderator. Nobody in a visible position of leadership appears to give a fuck about public opinion regarding all of this. I worry this situation will fester and cause a much greater explosive reaction the next time there’s a conflict of interest with Parity and co. What do you think? Do you have anything to add about how this matter was handled? u/introspectre
- I’m not sure if the premise is correct for this one but: if polkadot also uses the ewasm design it seems plausible that products and services could migrate from Ethereum to Polkadot. Is this true? u/DboVilakati
- What would you need to see happen on Polkadot or not happen on Ethereum in order to make the decision to migrate? u/DboVilakati
- Where do you see Ethereum in 2-5 years? u/reterical
- What do you think ethereums greatest weaknesses/threats are and how can it overcome them. u/etherbie
- The Moloch DAO goal to solve the “Tragedy of the Commons” problem is a very ambitious one. How does blockchain technology make it easier to turn such thought experiments into real world experiments? u/_lotuseater
- what’s more interesting, working on spankchain or MolochDAO? u/SpacePirateM
- If MolochDAO fails, what would be the cause of that failure? u/chazschmidt
- When will I, a pseudonymous but very pro Ethereum user and Ethtrader, be allowed to join your Moloch DAO guild with a modest contribution of something like 10 Ether? u/blockduane
- Moloch DAO is live but information on participating is pretty technical. Is it intended to be exclusive towards technical folk? What is the current status of the DAO as far as assets, members, proposals? u/carlslarson
- Do you think a Moloch type DAO would be an appropriate way to hold funds in the ENS system? Perhaps instead of the current proposal where deposits and rent would be held in a multisig and dispersed by its root key holders as they see fit for development grants, development could instead be voted on individually and funded through grant submittals. If you decide to ragequit because you dislike the direction of development, you also release your ENS name. This could also mitigate the tax implications they currently face as it is seen as income as soon as it enters a multisig. u/blockduane
- The whitepaper describes the scenario where in a contentious vote only no voters may ragequit. Can no voters also choose to stay in the guild after voting and during the grace period, effectively leaving their options open? Is this attack vector mitigated in any way other than socially? For example, guild members may not let someone that acts this way mint new shares in the guild… u/blockduane
- Do you think that the lack of price promotion by the Ethereum foundation and leaders in the space could be out of fear of being accused of promoting Ether as a profitable investment and thus a security, rather than thinking price is not important to security of the network? Perhaps what you are doing by independently saying these things is exactly what the system needs, as the core devs cannot do it themselves. u/blockduane
CLOSING QUESTIONS (timestamp)
- You have a weekend to relax and unwind, what do you do? u/CryptoUK
- You like the Sparta meme. however, this is partially at odds with the historic public image of ETH as unicorns / quirky, etc. How can we transform these magical creatures (lol) into beasts of war (lol) without descending into the self parody that is BTCs meat/ guns / gold mantra or community fracturing due to a loss of vision? We can still be some type of unicorn in the end, just more like the uniswap branding 😉 u/Trent_vanepps
- What definitive Ameen Soleimani quote can you offer for the “History of Blockchain” book that will be written 100 years from now? u/_lotuseater
- Do you consider yourself a Transhumanist? (“Transhumanism is an philosophical movement that advocates for the transformation of the human condition by developing and making widely available sophisticated technologies to greatly enhance human intellect and physiology.”) u/_lotuseater
- If could snap your fingers and it be done, what’s one the one thing on Twitter you would change or make vanish? u/chazschmidt
- Where can people learn more about you, and do you have any parting advice or words of wisdom? u/krokodilmannchen